Simple rules by Randy "Rantz" Kintz
I can’t count how many times i’ve been asked some of these questions, or for advice, or what-have-you, so i wanted to create a “blanket statement” – and some may come across harsh, and or direct – but for some of you – you NEED to hear it – and i guess I’m the lucky bastard that gets to tell you – but regardless – I want EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU to pay attention to the FINAL tip – because ultimately – nothing else really matters – except that one. So without further adieu:
First of all, most of you are far too young to be depressed by others ppl works – instead, turn it into inspiration to strive to be better. I’ve been on the planet 3x longer than most of you, so i’ve had a slightly head start on the whole drawing thing
So here’s are my tips, and words of not so good inspiration
- STOP DRAWING ON LINED PAPER!!!!! seriously – its the #1 mistake by all kids/young adults – printer paper is cheap – use it for all your drawing instead of the lined paper. And get an inexpensive portfolio to put your drawings in. They are out there, you just have to look.
- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE some more….and when you get tired of that – practice some more. Just like anything else, if you want to be good at something, it takes dedication, and hard work, and endless hours of drawing meaningless crap – then one day – you wake up – and all those long hours finally pay off. It does NOT happen over night. It takes YEARS – seriously. YEARS….
- 3) Find an artist that you like and study them – study how they draw. Study how they approach a drawing. We ALL have mentors, and ppl that inspire us – and we lean on those ppl when we ourselves get to a standstill, or are feeling UNinspired. because yes – we ALL go through those phases.
- BUY ONE ANATOMY BOOK, and ONE PERSPECTIVE BOOK. I dont care if you draw stick figures – add these books to your collections. Even Anime/Manga artists HAVE TO HAVE A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF ANATOMY! Buy them, read them, and dont argue with me.
- this is for all of you aspiring artist that want to work for marvel/dc/ – whatever – pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION: do not, i REPEAT, do NOT present a pinup of your own character to any editor for a PORTFOLIO REVIEW….ever…they dont care. You will NEVER be hired as a cover artist…ever. They want to see sequentials – they want you to be able to tell a story without words – that is what our world is about…save your OC for your buddies, gf/bf, and mom. Do not waste their time, because it’ll just piss them off, and put them in a mood for everyone else behind you…seriously. I’ve seen it happen.
- 6) most importantly….NEVER EVER GIVE UP….we all have bad days – we all draw crap that a 2yr could draw better…every single one of us. Anyone that tells you different is an effin liar – seriously. There are days that i cant draw a straight line even WITH a straight edge. When that happpens, take a break, go read a book, watch your favorite show, take a walk…but then come back and try again….dont….ever…give…up.
Like me, Love me, Hate me, whatever – those are my words of encouragement, and inspiration – hope that helps/kicks you in the ass.